Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ Topics

What is a Higher Lending Charge?

A Higher Lending Charge (HLC) is a form of insurance cover which your lender may take out when you apply for a new mortgage. It is used in case you fall behind with your mortgage payments and they have to repossess your property and sell it.

If you are borrowing more than 80% of the property’s value then a HLC will normally be needed. The cost of the higher lending charge is paid by the borrower but occasionally a lender may subsidise this.

The previous name for higher lending charges was Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee (MIG). Neither of these will provide any benefit to the borrower.

Useful pages:


Choosing a mortgage is an important financial decision and it’s easier with someone who’s on your side. We work as a whole of market mortgage broker so that you get the best possible choice of mortgages.



We are perfectly placed to help you find a buy to let mortgage solution that matches your property needs for individuals, families, investors, landlords and Limited Companies.

buy to let mortgages

We are experienced whole of market brokers who can help you get a great holiday let mortgage.

We can also give you access to exclusive schemes and some specialist lenders who don’t deal direct with borrowers. Loans are available to individuals and SPV’s upto 75% and we can help with Scottish properties, mixed use, multi-lets and Airbnb.

Our holiday let mortgage brokers know the lenders and their lending criteria well, enabling us to guide you to the best holiday let mortgage solutions

holiday to let mortgages

Bridging loans are one of the most useful, multi-purpose, types of lending solutions available. You can get a bridging loan approved on almost any property for almost any reason. Great for auction purchases or snapping up a buy to let bargain.

And we can arrange them really fast.

bridging loans

Development finance is designed to help with the purchase and build costs for a residential development project.

Solutions are available for change of use, ground-up projects, refurbishment or major building work and property extensions.

development loans
Table of Contents